Wednesday 4 June 2014

Campground ramblings

After visiting Upper Canada Village, we headed into Quebec. True to form, we didn't know where we’d spend the night – or preferably, the next week. We assumed that we’d be able to stop at the Tourist Info Center that would inevitably be a short way across the provincial border, and pick up a camping guide. (The Quebec Camping Guide encompasses all of the campgrounds in the province, and provides each with a rating based on amenities. Books like this are immensely helpful when trying to figure out where to go, and don’t have unlimited data (or occasionally a cell signal at all) to look up campgrounds. We still use printed guides a lot.)
As fate would have it, we arrived an hour after the Center had closed, and there were no brochures outside. Google Maps to the rescue! This has been an invaluable app on our phones (regardless of whether we have printed guides or not). Punch in “campgrounds” (or whatever else I’m looking for) in its search bar, and up they pop. (Another app I use is RV Parky, although less often, as it isn't all encompassing.) Based on good reviews we chose to call Camping la Cle des Champs, south of Montreal. They had one spot available for the week, and we took it. The travelers section was almost empty when we arrived on Mon evening, but by Friday night it was full of weekenders, and that single spot availability made sense. 
I don’t usually review our campgrounds, but I liked this one very much. The site was level (you seriously have no idea how important this is until you have traveled for a while!), and had a stone patio on which sat a swing and real patio set. Oooh. First time I've encountered this, and boy was it nice! In front of our patio was a fireplace made of stone “logs” that fit together. We didn't build a fire in it, but it was the perfect size to fit our barbecue on the top.
The kids loved the swing, and Morgan did his school work while rocking back & forth.  Lily also rocked her dollies to sleep nearly every day (these two activities did not work well together!). The ever present distraction at the back of the site – the frogs in the channel – provided entertainment & learning opportunities, and also sang us to sleep at night. The kids enjoyed the playground and splash pad, which despite delivering icy cold water, still attracted children like moths to a flame.

The staff were all very friendly and the internet was solid (You know, I think a campground could be a total disaster, but if they had strong WiFi, all would be good in my books. Sad, yes, I know… I could write lots about WiFi, but I’ll save further comments for another post…). It had a library, a hall, games, a heated pool, and it was peaceful & quiet at night. (-Except for the frogs - Trust me, being in a noisy environment does not lend to restful nights. RV walls are paper thin!) The total package was pretty nice, and if I was looking for a seasonal spot (as so many people in Canada – or at least this part of it do), I would pick a place like this.
Writing about this particular campground has got me thinking a bit… As we've traveled, I think we've experienced nearly every type of camp spot there is to be found. From boondocking in remote locations to staying in fancy RV Resorts with pools, activities, etc., and most everything in between, we've done them. Each type has its benefits and drawbacks, and one type isn't necessarily better than another. (It’s all about what we’re looking for at that moment in time, and that changes as we move around.)

Sometimes it’s the campground that makes a place memorable to us, and sometimes it’s just a spot to sleep. But so many of our reminiscences start with “Hey, do you remember the place where we…?”  that the campsite is irrevocably linked with the experience. Regardless, it’s always the places that make me feel at home that stick best in my mind, because, for however long we are there, these places truly are our home.  And hey, who doesn't want home to make you happy?


(I  feel extra lucky that I always have my home with me as I travel to my new home and the homes I leave behind leave a mark in my heart. And for those places that don't feel like home, we can just move on and find somewhere that's a better fit.) Ah, what a life!

No comments:

Post a Comment