Friday 17 January 2014

My travel philosophy

As we head east I have no desire to just drive across states to get to my final destination. I want to experience something of them. To get a feel, a flavor for each area. We've already seen a bit of northern & central Arizona and now we are working our way through the southern part.
Yes, we only have three weeks to get to Florida, but that doesn't mean we have to drive straight through and see nothing other than the traffic on the Interstate! (Booooring!). I really disliked the 3 days when we drove straight through several states at the beginning of November and only got a fleeting impression of them. That's not how I want to travel, and, I'd prefer never to do that again.  
And so, we've made it a point to make a few extra stops and add some adventure into our travel days (much like we did when we were way up north). This makes me happier because the adventure & fun should be in the journey and not just in the destination. We are on the move again, but don't have to be constantly moving. Rarely do we ever have to "be somewhere!", and I've had enough of the straight shot approach to get to _____(insert location here). Rather, I'd prefer to have the attitude of "we're heading towards ____", which leaves room for side trips and exploration.  
Which brings me to our GPS...
I have a love hate relationship with this little bit of technology, and I blame the GPS a bit for the unadventurousness of our travel days since December started. Don't get me wrong. It has been extremely helpful finding our way around cities or when the route is tricky or full of road switches. But often we plug in a destination and set off on the route it gives us. And then, you know, well that voice is telling us we have to go this way, so we'd better head this way (even when that route makes no sense!) Maybe, just maybe, I would like to go somewhere other than the fastest or shortest route. Maybe I would like to go a route that shows me something interesting along the way (well, except when it involves deadend roads - we've already had at least one crazy turn-around because of that.). Of course that's also when brain power should overrule the computerized program. We've had enough in vehicle conversations about this that he kids now regularly say "Use your brain!" if either of us makes a comment about the intelligence of the GPS's route.

Anyway, enough of my rant. We hardly used it up north, and we got along just fine. So in the spirit of adventure, the GPS will take a back seat role and maps, guides, curiosity and brain power will take the driver's seat. At the moment we don't know much about what to do and where to go as we head east toward Florida through southern New Mexico, Texas and those other states over east of Texas (time for a geography lesson!) If anyone has suggestions send them my way.
Eastward Ho! the McMillan's go!



4 comments:

  1. Really interesting Blog Bob. Good to see you're having a great trip and seeing lots. You're missed by the Futurites! Safe Travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoever programs the voices for the GPS should consider adding some different voices. Maybe someone famous or even a relative's voice. Can you imagine listening to a familiar voice instead of the snotty one that keeps repeating, "Recalculating..." A more realistic voice would say, "Why the hell did you turn there? What were you thinking of?" You could add some additional comments: "Are we there yet?" "I'm hungry." "I have to pee." If the GPS featured these the highways would be littered with broken devices and people would revert to paper maps. Then we could return to the days of having a copilot who either makes the driving decisions or gets everyone lost. Happy trails. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Mom! You crack me up. BTW, that part of the post was heavily edited to put Bob in a better light. I could rant for hours about the GPS!

      Delete
  3. It was funny that the day after this rant the gps told us to go straight and we ignored it, turned left, drove 3 miles up a hill, turned right and drove three miles down a hill to end up about 3 blocks from our starting place..... Sometimes those town maps it has are useful. -- Bob McMillan (GPS Slave #1)

    ReplyDelete